Monday, March 1, 2010

S&P Completing Imperfect 5 Wave Rally

S&P 500 Cash Index Primary Bullish Count




Looking at the above S&P daily chart there is a far from perfect 5 wave rise from the lows on the year around the 1045 level. The reason this rally is far from perfect is mainly due to its clear 3 wave rally off the low that can be seen on the hourly chart (see rise from 1045 - 1080 in bearish alternate count below). So I'm not completely sold on this bullish count at all. The problem is that the bearish count suggests quite a long and extended wave 2 rally that is getting quite carried away from an EWP "right look" perspective in my opinion, so this 5 wave rally needs attention. Plus, in 5th waves, there are often divergences in price and momentum where price makes a new extreme but momentum does not. Well a turn down tomorrow would confirm this divergence as seen on the MACD histogram It could still be a 5th wave within a larger correction, but I would need the market to prove that to me before I assume it.

Despite this bullish count being my primary view, I am not getting long quite yet. I want to see the speed, strength, and wave structure of the upcoming decline to determine if it's a correction before surging higher again, or if it's a resumption of the downtrend where I need to make my bearish count the primary view. In other words, right now I'm neutral as far as actually taking a position anywhere in the market.




S&P 500 Cash Alternate Bearish Count




Above is my 1hr bearish count that has a WXY combination correction in its last phase. Although I see no signs of a top yet, once it does top and reverse we should see an extremely strong wave 3 decline with increasing volume and almost all sellers in the market creating nice 5 wave impulsive moves to the downside. Without those pieces of evidence, I will assume the decline is just a correction before surging to higher levels as long as the market stays above 1045.

In summary, I want to wait until the market declines again so I can review the structure to try and determine what the larger trend is. Until then, my slight preference is that of a bullish count that will be looking for the market to eventually charge higher in the coming weeks. I do not have enough certainty to take a position at this point though, so I'm neutral as far as trading goes.

GBP/USD

What a slap to the face I got this morning by closing this pair a bit early. The pair tanked this morning after I closed my short position last night, making me leave a lot of money on the table. But that's the trading life I guess. I still was able to make a nice profit on the overall trade, so in that respect it was a success, and with the open gap and 5 wave decline looking complete, I can't fault myself too much for booking profits at that juncture. But hindsight's 20/20.


PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS JUST AN ANALYSIS BLOG AND IN NO WAY GUARANTEES OR IMPLIES ANY PROFIT OR GAIN. THE DATA HERE IS MERELY AN EXPRESSED OPINION. TRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

No comments:

StatCounter